Friday, January 12, 2007

Skill Positions

Quarterback.
Running Back.
Wide Receiver.

These are the skill positions.
These are the positions on a football team's offense that are most responsible for scoring points.
Most responsible for flash.
Most responsible for the big plays we see on Sportscenter.
These are the guys who celebrate in the endzone, shaking pom-poms, pulling out Sharpies, Riverdancing.

Now, here's the implication of "skill positions."
If these guys are skilled, the other guys are unskilled.
Unimportant.
The unskilled laborers of the offensive line, of the entire defense--they can't possibly be as important as the skill positions.

But yo:
You can't win without dominant unskilled laborers.
You can't succeed with the no-names making it happen.
And of course, these "unskill positions" require just as much brainpower, and technique, and yeah, skill as any other spot on the field.

And that's what we're going to be exploring.

The Unnamed Football Project might just have a name.

2 comments:

Me said...

I just feel sad for you that no one comments on you. I comment on you and I comment on unskilled positions never being the glory positions and say that's a capitalist democracy for you. I also say you're cute.

Thomas said...

I say that is a bunch of bull, if you get my meaning. My son Thomas Jr. who is 15yrs old an I was having a debate last night 1/1/09 about this very same subject and I bet him a $100.00 that there was no such thing as skilled and unskilled position. Having played the game of football throughout my youth and 4 yrs of college. I know that every position on the field require a great deal of dedication to become skilled at your position and to remain a starter require a great deal of determination and hard work. I say "bull crap" every position is a skilled position!!!!!!!!!!! Thomas Jr. has a $100.00 in his pocket from dad.